What degree did you study at university, Prudence?
Can you tell us why you chose this career?
I chose a career as a Systems Analyst because I’m a curious person and I wanted to understand how technology works.
What’s a typical day like in your job?
A typical day in my work at Sanlam involves:
- Meetings with the business and / or business analysts to understand requirements.
- Translating business requirements into IT solutions.
- Documenting technical specifications.
- Creating data mapping and integration documents.
What are the some of the highlights and challenges of your role?
Some highlights in my role are:
- Working with different people.
- Understanding how data flows between systems and being able to see how things fit together.
- Learning new things.
- Seeing the applications go live and being used by clients.
Some challenges in my role are:
- Dependencies on other systems for data.
- Unpacking complex business requirements.
- Working with difficult stakeholders.
How do you keep up to date with all the changes in your profession?
I read up on topics that I’m working on and chat to colleagues who are doing similar roles. Also, I take part in internal initiatives.
What do you enjoy doing for fun outside of the office?
Exercising, spending time with friends, listening to motivational talks, reading and watching TV.
Thanks for sharing with us, Prudence!