What degree did you study at university, Shana?
Can you tell us why you chose this career?
I chose to become a Data Scientist because I love making sense of scattered information by means of consolidation and analysis to come up with innovative data solutions and insights.
What’s a typical day like in your job?
A typical day at my work at Standard Bank might be like:
- Engaging with business stakeholders to understand their business problems. I would then utilise data science technologies to extract and synthesize the data and propose a solution.
- Querying the necessary data from a database to build a model.
- Building models. This means, for example, building a Behavioural Scorecard to score our customers based on their spending behaviour, which in turn aids business to assess whether to extend credit to that customer or not.
- Giving presentations to business on the data driven solutions that I am proposing.
What are the some of the highlights and challenges of your role?
The highlights include:
- Deriving the results from the models.
- Learning from various business units within the bank.
- Helping business make decisions based on data.
The challenges include that the Data Scientist role is new within our organisation and it is easily mistaken with other similar roles like MIS. So you may receive queries that are not directly linked to the DS role.
How do you keep up to date with all the changes in your profession?
I make time for online research as Data Science is a vast area and you need to remain relevant. I visit many sites where data scientists can learn from, such as Datacamps.
What do you enjoy doing for fun outside of the office?
I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. I love travelling and always make time to go to the beach.
Thanks for sharing with us, Shana!